In an attempt to further our frugality I decided to try making laundry liquid.
Here is the recipe which I found at Frugal and Thriving. It works out to around 1c per load apparently (but I didn't do the calculation so you can either trust my second hand info from internetland or do the calculation yourself.. :P)
11/2 litres of water
1 bar of soap, grated (vegetable soap, homemade soap, laundry soap or lux flakes)
1/2 cup washing soda crystals (you will find it in the laundry isle)
1/2 cup of borax (also in the laundry isle)
- In a saucepan, combine some of the water and the soap and stir over a medium heat until the soap is dissolved.
- Add the washing soda and borax and stir until thickened.
- Pour the mixture into a 10 litre bucket and then fill with hot tap water. Stir to combine. (It will become like egg whites)
- At this point, you could add a few drops of your favourite essential oil for fragrance (eucalyptus or lavender are great).
- When cool, store in a plastic container.
- Use 1/4 cup per load
This recipe filled the three blue bottles, one Earth Choice bottle and half the nappy bucket!
I won't be needing to make any more for a LONG time!